Exercise 1 – Still Life in Pairs
- Agree on an object and then spend 15 minutes observing and describing it (in writing). Be as descriptive as you can.
- Write several paragraphs describing the object, first what it’a like, then what you think about it.
- Use specific details so that the reader can close her eyes and picture the object.
- Don’t just tell them there is a chair, or even a comfortable chair. Tell them where in the room the chair is, what color it is, what fabric it seems to be made of.
- After you are both done writing, exchange descriptions and note similarities and differences. How do you account for them? Which seem especially notable?