To meet in a chatroom, everyone in class will need to install a “chat client.” This is a little program the will connect to the chat, show you what people are saying in one window, and allow you to add your own comments and commands in another window.
We will be using old-school IRC (Internet Relay Chat). –Relish the historical experience!
- Install whichever chat client you’ve chosen.
- Next, open your chat client and navigate to the chat: it can be found at irc://freenode/rhetorix/ –this probably means typing or pasting this address into an adress bar in your chat client.
- The first time you’ll need to register a username.
- You may need to join #rhetorix in a separate step, depending on your chat client.
- Try signing in a day or two early in case you run into any trouble; you’ll have time to sort it out.
- Here is a link to basic IRC commands; they are pretty simple: you type them into the same little box where you also type the things you want to say.
I will demonstrate how this works in class, but if you have a chance, give it a try before hand. That way you can ask better questions!